Monday, August 26, 2013

Unconditional Love?


When I was in my 30s my sister's Sunday school class was studying the family and how it affects your adult life.  She sent me a questionnaire asking my thoughts on our childhood. I was to complete it and return it to her, and then she would do the same and return it to me. The questions asked about our upbringing and how that influenced our adult life or siblings life. There was a section about yourself; the sibling was to respond to the other siblings’ answers. One of the questions asked was “As a teenager what did you think you would be doing at age 30?” My answer was- “I didn’t think I would live to see 30.”  When my sister returned the form back to me I was surprised by her answer, it simply said, “Neither did we.”
I had no idea the family felt that way. Really? I should have! I knew they were disappointed in me and they hated where I was mentally (and physically) back then. 



I had turned from God when I was eighteen, not that my parents provided an example of what a christian life should look like. There was so much drama in my life from my parent’s divorces I was left me feeling unlovable. Coupled with my distorted view of having to behave a certain way to earn God's love, I thought I can never be “that good” so why try. I didn’t understand unconditional love. My old school church teachings were on hellfire and damnation; the pastor never taught on a relationship with God, His unconditional love and grace. 

BUT GOD…. Kept me safe. He loves us all unconditionally!
“The mountains may disappear, and the hills may come to an end, but my love will never disappear; my promise of peace will not come to an end,” says the Lord who shows mercy to you. Isaiah 54:10 NCV

Never stop telling your children that you love them, teach and show them unconditional love. Be the example of what God has to offer us all. It will be much easier for children to grasp God’s love and build the relationship with Him with you as a positive reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment