Monday, January 27, 2014

Getting Past The Hurt

I haven’t written for a while.  Truth is I have been trying to work through a personal struggle.  Now I think I can share some of the lesson with you.  I welcome your comments and questions, so many people go through hurts, we need to help each other learn to get through it.

How do you get past the pain when someone you care about has hurt you?  Whether it is a friend, a spouse or a child, when someone close to you does or says something that hurts it always seems to sting a little worse and is harder to get past.  

I live in a coastal community, so I know when a storm comes in from the water the waves get bigger and erodes more of the beach.  If there are any structures standing near by, as the beach is eroded away the structure will collapse.

Unresolved hurts, like the waves lapping at the shore, slowly erode the things around it. You are likely to create a wall to prevent being hurt again, or distrust others because of what someone else did; but before you know it like the waves erode an insufficient seawall, your waves of past hurts will eroded a current relationship. 


So what do you do? 
What do you do? How do you get past all the pain and move on? 
You say that you forgive them, after all forgiveness is for you to heal. You know the bible verses that teach you how to respond and act. You know that God loves you and the other person, you know you should love like Jesus. You tell yourself to move on, it’s okay, forget about it, but you can’t.   

Look hard at the situation, how does it make you feel.  Write down those feelings, think about them, can you relate these words to a past hurt that you never really got over? 

For instance a child of divorced parents may carry the feelings of rejection into areas of their adult life.  Then as an adult have rejection issues because Dad or Mom left them.
That child may even distrust God our Father; not being able to separate the earthly father from the heavenly Father.

Know this.  There is no better way to get free from all our past than to give it over to God, He will set you free.

So if the son sets you free, you will be really free.  John 8:36
When you are really free from worry, guilt and bitterness; you are free to quit pretending that everything is “fine” and be yourself.  

There are times that sharing the situation with a trusted friend will help you heal, as I was dealing with my hurts this last month a very sweet woman those friendship I treasure gave me this scripture and said this to me:

“But I believe that God is in every aspect of our lives and he protects us from things we
may never know about.   
The Lord himself watches over you!  The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.  The sun will not hurt you by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord keeps you from all evil and preserves your life.  The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever. Psalm 121:5-8 
I will continue to lift you to the throne in prayer.  Trust in Him to see you through this to the end.  He loves you Sherry!  Me too!"

Though I thanked her for this, she may never know how deeply it affected me, how comforting it was to know that someone else felt my pain. That someone else would care enough to pray for me and the situation.  That someone else would listen to Gods urging and write to me such encouraging words.

So to sum it up I have learned is this-
Trust God.  He will heal you, He loves you and wants to take away your pain.  
God speaks. Listen for Him.  Watch for Him in unexpected places.
Trust a friend. God wants to use others to help you heal. 

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you have been having difficulties. When our pain is hidden it is hard to understand how the world goes on seemingly normal. I am glad you had a good friend to point out the verse to you. I may not attend church regularly but God and I have a good relationship. That has been of great help in the last couple of years trying to find the new normal. Hugs Glenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenna, It is all about the relationship with God...
      Blessings
      Sherry

      Delete