Monday, April 28, 2014

The Titus 2 Woman




With the world capturing so many of our your women lives, we need some Good Titus 2 women to step up and live as examples of the life Paul wanted Titus to teach. What does it mean to be a Titus 2 woman? 

And here’s what I want you to teach the older women: Be respectful. Steer clear of gossip or drinking too much so that you can teach what is good to young women. Be a positive example, showing them what it is to love their husbands and children, and teaching them to control themselves in every way and to be pure. Train them to manage the household, to be kind, and to be submissive to their husbands, all of which honor the word of God. Titus 2:3-5

Times that Titus lived many of the early church in Crete were former pagans. I am sure the women of those times felt they were in bondage, slaves to their husbands, so many of them drank a little too much to numb their feelings of the hopelessness. Anyone that has ever drunk too much alcohol knows the tongue becomes loose; then the speculation and gossip can begin to flow.

There was a point in my life where I was not living a Godly life.  I was miserable and I numbed my hurt and anger with drugs and alcohol.  Self-medication. I didn’t want to think about my circumstances, I didn’t know how to make them better.  Though my life was much easier than the women in Titus days, happiness was just as elusive to me as it was to those women.   I had lived with mental and physical abuse for years; labels had been placed on me by others and myself that I believed were true. Life in my world was a vicious cycle of hurt, pain, anger, then came the numbing.  I had little self-respect; self-medication was my escape. Where was my Titus 2 woman? Where were the nurturers, the teachers, and encouragers in my life? 
I’m not trying to assign blame to anyone; I was a tough child to raise. Which lead to a tough adult. I had built walls that were solid and made it difficult for anyone to reach me.

Are you a Titus 2 woman? You could be.  There are many young ladies that are looking for someone to teach them. Young ladies that do not know God, that are seeking a better life than they have. Good girls that just have no one to look up to, or girls  where circumstances they may have found themselves in could be abusive or maybe it's the labels that have been put on them that is causing hurt or anger. They could be pregnant, an unwed mother or unwanted by family or friend and cast out into the streets. Yes this happens everyday. Maybe no one tried to reach them before or maybe they couldn't be reached, but you could be that someone they need now.  

 Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, “How can I help?”     Romans 15:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment